May I just say, WOW!!!?! What a ride this blogging adventure has been! I just started in October 2016 thinking I would do this for a few weeks, get bored with it and then move on. Not only has it introduced me to another world that I never knew existed, but I have gained new friends, inspired others to share their words, entered an ambassadorship program with a well known hiking entity, been approached to do reviews on products and now have been nominated for the Liebster Award! Taking off like a Maglev Bullet Train…toot toot, baby. 🙂
The Liebster Award is the blogging world’s version of the Screen Actor’s Guild (SAG) awards. It dates back to 2011 and is an internationally recognized online award. Bloggers share the love by recognizing a minimum of five blogs they want to have recognized for different reasons. Meg Marie from Adventures of Fox in the Forest saw something in my blog that she liked and I am truly humbled by this. Fox, as her friends call her, is an ardent adventure seeker by heart. Her passport is enough to make the Webster Dictionary jealous as it holds as many stamps as the Dict does words. Take that Mr. Webster, sir!
The photography that accompanies her pictures easily transports you to that exact time and place that Meg occupied at one point. Her storytelling is informative and beautifully written. She makes you forget that you’re reading a “how-to” article and you become temporarily sucked into a short story of speculation and discovery. She is definitely one of my favorite bloggers and I also follow her on Instagram and Twitter. Other ways to hunt her down is to follow her on Pinterest and Google+. Get it? Hunt her down…like the Fox she is? (Well, I thought it was clever…)
Questions presented to me by Meg Marie:
- What inspires you the most to get out and explore? Making people jealous of the places I have been, duh! Actually, the inspiration stems from me being jealous of the places people have been. The world is too small not too adventure in it. Whether that be in our own backyard or thousands of miles away in a country where we don’t understand the language. I want to LIVE and BREATHE the experience of different cultures, I want to PUSH my limits because I don’t like to be scared, and simply put, adventuring just makes me HAPPY.
- If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your life what dish would it be? Supreme Pizza! It contains all major food groups so I should be safe from any lack of nutrition. Plus I’m partial to triangular shapes…maybe because I’m a Sagittarius???
- What’s your favorite season and why? I don’t have a favorite season. I find something I love in each season and it’s usually food related. No, honestly, I love the new bloom of flora in the spring, the long days of summer, the crispness to the air in fall, and the sight and smell of the wood stove during the winter.
- You’re in the most beautiful scenery you’ve ever seen – describe it for us then tell us where it’s at. It’s the middle of the night during a frigid winter. The type of frigid where your nose hairs would freeze. We’re driving back home at this hour in order to arrive before the blizzard comes, it’s the calm before the storm. The night is as clear as onyx and the forest roads are interrupted only by the sound of our motor and the tires chafing against the pavement. And then we see it…a sight so dazzling we get out of the car, our nose hairs immediately freezing. The Aurora Borealis in all it’s glory! I’ve seen the Northern Lights before, but never in this capacity. The lights danced and flirted across the entire sky, swallowing any dark mystery and undulated with such lazy passion that it made us forget we were at risk for hypothermia. Oh, if I could transport myself back to that moment during our Fairbanks to Anchorage, Alaska road trip.
- What was a time when you missed home the most? I was having dinner with friends at a restaurant in Tirana, Albania (circa 2005) and it was such a cool night on this summer’s eve, complete with a caressing breeze. My husband was back in the states and I had about two more weeks before I could go home. I had already been here two weeks and this wonderful dinner on such a romantic night made me want to excuse myself and get back to the hotel to Skype with him.
- What is your dream destination? I thoroughly want to see Antarctica! I have been to five continents sans Africa and Antarctica. However, the cost to trek to Antarctica is phenomenal. I’ll get there one day though…somehow, I will.
- Sunsets or sunrises? Why? Sunrises! I’m naturally an early riser and during the summers, I love to get up early and take the dogs on a hike and we just all watch the sunrise. Then we head back, I have my first cup of coffee and there is no way anything exists that could ruin my day.
- What has been your most embarrassing moment or mishap on the road, trail, or traveling? There is way too many to name. Hence, the name I chose for my blog! Everything from visiting the wrong trail head and even hiking it to entering DO NOT ENTER areas and getting caught and to ignoring a winter storm advisory and getting abused by hail, I may be guilty of it.
- If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out as a traveler or an outdoors enthusiast what would it be? Just put one foot in front of the other. I hate seeing people getting caught up thinking they can’t get out there because they don’t have a certain “thing”. I’m not saying throw all common sense out the window, but don’t put so much planning into it that you discourage yourself.
- What are your plans for 2017? Other than a trip to the Philippines in January and a women’s trip to Peru in June, my only other plans are to get more backpacking in, I would like to do a thru-hike, and explore more. It’s always about exploring more. With much love and Aloha…
Super big thanks to Meg for recognizing my blog! It’s an honor to be nominated by someone who has such an accomplished background and blog. The following are my list of nominations of blogs that I think are worthy of this award. Check them out:
The Pipsqueak Chronicles – Just what happens when you decide to say YES?! Find out through this brave woman’s journeys about overcoming fear and the lessons she’s learned. Teara Bryan may surprise you.
Rough Outlines – Korrin Bishop is the author of this blog. Not only is she a social community justice leaguer, but she’s also a super advocate to get women outside.
WomenMTB – Raeshell Sutherland is a century rider on a new journey. Follow her blog to see how she returns from post baby body to lean, mean biking machine.
Remote Leigh – A blogger who won my heart when she had posts of her bully in an article. An erudite lady in the ways of adventuring while overcoming Raynaud’s syndrome. A condition where blood circulation is limited to certain areas.
Having Fun Outdoors – Tina Lanciault is an ambassador for Hike Like a Woman and not only a regular hiker, but she’s a spelunker as well! Talk about adventurous!
Congratulations to the nominations for all of the above!
Here are my 10 questions for you lovely bloggers:
- What inspires you the most to get out and explore?
- If you learn any language, what would it be and why?
- What’s your favorite season and why?
- You’re in the most beautiful scenery you’ve ever seen – describe it for us then tell us where it’s at.
- What was a time when you missed home the most?
- What is your dream destination?
- Sunsets or sunrises? Why?
- What has been your most embarrassing moment or mishap on the road, trail, or traveling?
- If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out as a traveler or an outdoors enthusiast what would it be?
- What are your plans for 2017?
Much love and Aloha,
your clueless wanderer